More than just the largest fishing resort on the island
Larry E. Stefanyk & James Fisher
Nootka Marine Adventures built their reputation catering to the sportfishing enthusiast; however, it has also become a preferred destination for guests looking for more. From enjoying an authentic wilderness experience to learning about the areas historical significance, this area has a lot to offer. You can also participate in a variety of getaways offering a blend of activities including their highly rated outdoor programs, seminars and newly offered health & wellness retreats.
Whether you decide to stay in one of their 39 serviced camp/RV sites with water and power, premium lodge suites and chalets, or one of their luxury yurts, Moutcha Bay Resort has a wilderness experience for everyone. NMA’s extensive fleet of boats are also based here, including eighteen of their large, comfortable guide boats, a premium selection of rental boats ranging from 18 to 24 feet in length and a full-service marina for the do-it-yourself mariner; offering fuel, bait, tackle, and 70 moorage slips, many with 15 and 30 AMP power. If you would like to mix in a little variety to your sportfishing adventure, the area also offers a range of day trips including; kayak & SUP rentals, a children’s playground with a zip line, caving, hatchery tours, hiking and ATV trails.
The variety of outdoor activities available include:
May, June & September
- Beach Seine – Hosted by their in house Marine Biologist, participants use a seine net to take samples of marine life from the beach in front of the resort. The experience familiarizes participants with the invertebrate and fish species that are found in the tidal and eel grass ecosystems.
- Crabbing and Boat Safety – Educates participants on the basics of boat safety, boat operation and gives them the opportunity to actually operate a pleasure craft. Effective crab harvesting techniques are also taught.
- Wildlife & Environmental Awareness – Familiarizes youth with the local wildlife, flora found on the West Coast of Vancouver Island
- Upana Caves – Explore a spectacular local cave systems using a well-maintained trail.
- Outdoor Survival – Bush craft techniques and equip including hands on shelter building, fire making, navigation and survival skills.
- Conuma Hatchery Tour – Provides participants with an overview of the local fish hatchery operations including egg taking, incubation, feeding, fish pens and the various stages of the salmon life cycle.
- Kayaking – Ocean kayaking safety, paddling techniques, rescue etc. while exploring Moutcha Bay in a kayak.
Hiking and Historical Tours
May to September
Explore the the Nootka Island Trail, Leiner Bouldering Trail, The Lookout, Coral Cave and Maquinna Trail or take a tour of the historically rich Yuquot (Friendly Cove).
Yoga & Wellness Retreats
May, June & September
Nootka Marine Adventures host a number of highly rated retreats and seminars from their various resorts. Whether your interested in yoga, wellness, culinary, artistic or crafting beer be sure to contact them to inquire what they have to offer throughout the season at their various resorts.
The freshwater fishing in the area is also exceptional. Within close proximity are the; Conuma, Canton, Leiner, Gold and Burhman, and Malaspina Lake all located a short drive from their land based Moutcha Bay Resort.
Government Certified Fish Processing
Nootka Marine Adventures operates two provincially licensed fish packing facilities, one right at Moutcha Bay Resort and the other at Newton Cove Resort. Your fish will be carefully filleted with rib bones and fins removed before being portioned out to your request. Each piece is vacuumed packed using high quality plastic, properly labeled and flash frozen. Finally, before leaving, the fish is packaged in a cold storage liner and waxed cardboard box ready for transport home. On a side note, all the other lodges in the area drop their catch off to be processed at the lodge and any angler can drop off their catch as long as they have the proper documentation.
Getting There Is Easy
From Campbell River head west on Hwy 28, which meanders along the Upper Campbell Lake and mountainsides, for about 91 kms (57 miles) towards Gold River. This is considered one of the most spectacular drives on Vancouver Island. Upon arrival in Gold River, keep heading straight following the signs to Tahsis. Moutcha Bay Resort, located at the mouth of the Conuma River, in the beautiful sheltered waters of Nootka Sound, BC, is located 43 km north of Gold River. The resort is just 45 minutes from Gold River and is easily accessible by car, keep in mind that this is an active logging road that is well maintained gravel with paving on the steepest hills. If towing a boat, make sure your brakes are functioning as the road has grades as much as 18%. 6 km (3.7 miles). After the Conuma Fish Hatchery you will see the entrance to the resort on the left hand side of the road. There is a boat launch, large marina with gas, diesel, tackle, bait and ice as well as fully serviced camp sites, lodge, chalet and yurt accommodations and a licensed restaurant. Parking is available on site. All of the resorts are also accessible by boat or float plane.
Nootka Marine Adventures has it all: three wonderful resorts in spectacular settings. They can satisfy the varied needs of every outdoor enthusiast and pride themselves in creating custom crafted wilderness adventures for individuals or groups wishing to fish or just explore the spectacular and enjoy the historically rich region of Nootka Sound and Esperanza Inlets.
- Larry E. Stefanyk
- January 23, 2018
- 0 Comment