Recipe courtesy of Thomas Dodd
Tom's Chipotle/Red Pepper Hickory Smoked Salmon
- 2 tbsp Chipotle/hickory liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp Pickling spices
- 1/4 cup Cabela’s salmon spice
- 1 tbsp Mrs. Dash lemon pepper
- 1 tbsp Dill weed
- 1 tbsp Crushed red pepper (chili pepper)
- 1 tbsp Lemon dill seasoning
- 1/4 cup Pink Himalayan salt
- 3/4 cup Coarse pickling salt
- 2 cups Demerara sugar
- 4 cups Golden brown sugar
- 1 Purple onion giant
- Cut salmon into slices, and place skin side down.
- Coat with liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauces, then coat with the rest of the spices. Mix the 2 salts together and coat evenly, then coat with Demerara and then golden brown sugars. Dice up onion and sprinkle on top.
- Let sit for 24 hours in fridge, then turn over so the skin side is up and the meat side is in the liquid mixture. Let it sit for another 24 hours. Rinse off the salmon and tack up for 1 1/2 hrs, and it will be ready to put in the smoker.
- I use a Bradley smoker and set the temp at 170° (pre-heat before putting salmon in) and use hickory pucks (get the smoke going before putting salmon in) for 5 hours. At the 4-hour mark, baste with a mixture of 3 parts maple syrup to 1 part golden brown sugar, and then put back in the smoker. Glaze again at the 4.5-hour mark and remove from the smoker after another half-hour.
Would you like your recipe featured in in our magazine? Click here and win!
I am looking for someone who would be able to portable BBQ salmon for 150 people for an outdoor wedding reception in the Black Creek area in the Comox Courtenay Valley for August 10/19