Spread the love
Recipe courtesy of Gord MacDonald
Disaronno Candied Cayenne Smoked Salmon
I usually use pink salmon for this, but any type of salmon will do.
- Pink Salmon
- 4 cups Demerara sugar
- 1/2 cup Sea salt
- 1 cup Disaronno liquor
- 1 cup Maple syrup
- 1 cup Brown sugar
- 1 dash Cayenne pepper
- Filet salmon, de-bone and cut into 2-inch-wide strips.
- For the dry brine, mix 4 cups demerara suger and ½ cup sea salt in a large bowl. Add salmon pieces a few at a time and cover with dry brine. Put coated pieces into zip-lock bags and into the fridge or cooler. Let them brine overnight (8 to 12 hours), turning once or twice to make sure they are completely covered.
- When soaking is complete, remove salmon from bags and rinse with cold water. Set on trays, pat dry with paper towel, and let dry for 3 to 4 hours until surface has formed a pellicle (not sticky). A fan helps speed this process up.
- In a small bowl mix equal parts of Disaronno liquor*, maple syrup, and brown sugar to form a thick paste.
- Brush onto salmon pieces, sprinkle on a moderate amount of powdered cayenne pepper, and then put into smoker.
- In my propane smoker, it takes about 2 to 3 hours at 120° – 140° F, and halfway though I brush more of the candy glaze on.
Other liquors like Jack Daniels and Fireball work as well.